Administration Building
175 East Broad Street
Dallastown, PA 17313

Dallastown Borough, York County, PA


Search Our Site

Pay Your Water or Sewer/Trash

Annual CCR

Click HERE to view
Dallastown Borough's
Current Drinking Water
Quality Report

Click HERE to view
Dallastown Borough's
Previous Drinking Water
Quality Reports

Upcoming Events

Wed Jul 13 @ 7:00PM -
Water Authority Meeting
Mon Jul 25 @ 7:00PM -
Borough Council Meeting
Mon Jul 25 @ 7:00PM -
Zoning Hearing Board
Thu Jul 28 @ 7:00PM -
EMA Meeting
Fri Jul 29 @ 8:00AM - 04:30PM
Sewer & Trash Bills DUE Today
Mon Aug 08 @ 7:00PM -
Borough Council Meeting
Wed Aug 10 @ 7:00PM -
Water Authority Meeting
Mon Aug 22 @ 7:00PM -
Borough Council Meeting
Mon Aug 22 @ 7:00PM -
Zoning Hearing Board
Thu Aug 25 @ 7:00PM -
EMA Meeting

Right To Know/Open Records Information

Right To Know Request Form and Copy Fees

PA Right To Know Law

PA Office of Open Records - Citizens' Guide

WHAT IS COVERED BY THE LAW: Records, not Questions

Make sure when you file a RTK request, you are seeking records and not just asking questions. The law governs release of records.

A record is defined as “any information regardless of its physical form or character that documents a transaction or activity of an agency AND is created, received, or retained pursuant to law OR in connection with a transaction, business or activity of an agency.”

Records can take many forms, including papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, photographs, film or sound recordings, information stored or maintained electronically and a data-processed or image-processed documents. Note that e-mails can also be a form of public records, subject to any exceptions.

EXCEPTIONS: Protects Certain Information From Disclosure

The law contains 30 exceptions, cited in Section 708, that permit an Agency to withhold records. An Agency may deny release of a record if it falls within one of the 30 exceptions designed to protect information that is confidential or may jeopardize safety or investigations. Types of records that can be withheld include records related to personal or public security, DNA/RNA records, autopsy records, social security numbers, personal financial information, personal email addresses, marital status, identity of a covert law enforcement officer, home address of judges or law enforcement, confidential source records, victim information.


A citizen can file a Right-to-Know request in four ways. You can submit your request by:

  1. Fax
  2. Electronic mail
  3. In person
  4. U.S. Mail

When submitting a request to the Agency, always retain a copy for your file. A copy of this RTK request would be necessary if you should need to file an appeal to our office upon denial.

The first thing a citizen should do to file a RTK request is check with the local or Commonwealth Agency to determine the Open Records Officer (each Agency must have one) and whether the Agency has a Right-to-Know request form. You can always use the Uniform Request Form available on our website to file a request. Address your request to the Open Records Officer. Some Agencies use the term “Right-to-Know Officer.”

You should make sure that your request for records is specific and concise. Identify as specifically as you can the records you want, so that an Agency can quickly locate them and determine whether they are public record.

Please be advised that if you send an e-mail request or file a request in person it does not speed-up the time that that an Agency has to respond to your request. An Agency has five business days to respond to a request, whether you place the request in person or by mail.


An Agency has five business days to respond in writing to: 1) grant the request, 2) deny the request (citing the legal basis for denial/partial denial) or 3) invoke a 30-day extension for certain reasons.

The clock starts the day after the request is received during regular business hours.

Acceptable grounds for a 30-day extension includes: off-site location of records, staffing limitations, need for legal review or redaction, complex request, or requester did not pay applicable fees as required, or failed to follow Agency policy.

If an Agency does not respond to a request in the allotted time, the request is deemed denied, and you have the right to file an appeal with the Office of Open Records.


If an Agency denies a record, or a portion of a record, the requester can file an appeal with the Office of Open Records.

The appeal must be submitted to the Office of Open Records within 15 business days of the mailing date of the Agency’s response. Appeals should be sent to the Office of Open Records, Commonwealth Keystone Building, 400 North St., 4th Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225. They may also be submitted via facsimile to 717-425-5343 or via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment.

All appeals must be in writing and shall include the following information that may be submitted using the Appeals Forms found on

  • A copy of the Right-to-Know Request
  • A copy of the denial letter submitted by the Agency - If the agency does not respond in writing within five business days, the request is “deemed denied” and can be appealed.
  • State the grounds you believe the record is a public record
  • Address any grounds that the Agency raised in its denial

The Office of Open Records will only docket an appeal and assign an appeals officer when all of this information has been received. When the Office of Open Records receives the appeal, it has 30 days to respond from the date of receipt of the appeal to issue a Final Determination. The Office of Open Records may conduct a hearing (which is a non-appealable decision). It may decide the case on the basis of the information filed with the Office. It may seek additional information from the involved parties. In most cases, the Office of Open Records will issue a Final Determination based on information provided to our Office without conducting a hearing. When the Office of Open Records issues a Final Determination it is binding on the Agency. If the Agency or the requester want to appeal the ruling of the Office of Open Records, the appeal must be filed with the appropriate court within 30 days of the mailing of the Final Determination by the Office.


The Neighborhood Blight Reclamation and Revitalization Act

Are you current with taxes, or other municipal service accounts?

If not, you will be denied a zoning and/or building permit!

The Neighborhood Blight Reclamation and Revitalization Act

Read more ...

Online Code Book

Click the image below to access the Borough's E-Code Book.


Any Borough or Water-Authority maintenance employee that would approach your home for any reason will have a visible I.D. and a Borough vehicle with them. Do not let anyone in your home without first verifying who they are.

Please call the Borough Office (717.244.6626) or York Area Regional Police (717.741.1259 or 911) immediately if you need to verify the identity of someone or if you experience any suspicious behavior.